National 26.7.2016 09:07 am

UCT students evacuated in early morning fire

Fire stock image.

Fire stock image.

The cause of the fire was due to a heater.

University of Cape Town (UCT) students had to be evacuated in the early hours of Tuesday morning when a fire started on the 10th floor of one of the residences.

Cape Town Fire and Rescue services spokesperson Theo Layne said they responded to the fire at Leo Marquade Hall in Baxter Road, Rondebosch at 2:50am.

He said emergency services rescued a man from the 11th floor who was treated on the scene and then taken to Cape Town Medi-Clinic for further treatment.

“The cause of the fire was due to a heater,” he said.

Fire and Rescue Services extinguished the blaze within half of an hour of their arrival.

– African News Agency (ANA)

poll

today in print