National 26.7.2016 08:15 am

Tony Yengeni back in Cape Town court

ANC veteran Tony Yengeni arrives at the Cape Town magistrates' court. Picture: ANA

ANC veteran Tony Yengeni arrives at the Cape Town magistrates' court. Picture: ANA

In a previous court appearance, Yengeni told the court that he’s the victim of a DA-led conspiracy.

ANC national executive committee member Tony Yengeni is expected to appear in the Cape Town Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, where he faces charges of drunken driving.

In a previous court appearance, Yengeni told the court he was not drunk when he was arrested on August 11, 2013, in Greenpoint, Cape Town.

Yengeni told the court: “If I was five times over the legal limit, I would have caused a serious accident. I don’t agree with the state’s case that I was drunk.”

The ANC veteran believes the case against him is a political conspiracy engineered by the Democratic Alliance (DA).

During a heated cross-examination, he was adamant that his case had been expedited because of who he was. His blood samples were analysed within two weeks of being taken, which was unusual, as the forensic laboratory usually battled major backlogs.

Yengeni has insisted that he had just three sips of African beer on the day of his arrest and that he was not intoxicated. This despite his blood alcohol showing he was five times over the legal limit.

He was shown footage of himself driving. His car approaches an intersection in Greenpoint and can be seen crossing over a barrier line.

Dirk Uijs, for Yengeni, handed documents to Magistrate Grant Engel in a bid to prove the defence’s contention that the case was a political conspiracy.

These included a statement by DA MP Dianne Kohler-Barnard released the day after Yengeni’s arrest, as well as an email written by a senior prosecutor to the forensic laboratory instructing them to expedite the analysis of Yengeni’s blood sample.

The DA statement called for justice to take its course and referred to drunken driving charges levelled against Yengeni in 2007.

In that case, he was acquitted, and the Goodwood Police Station commander was fired and convicted of defeating the administration of justice for tampering with Yengeni’s blood sample.

Also expected in the Palm Ridge high court today is former Crime Intelligence boss Richard Mdluli and ex-policeman Mthembeni Mthunzi. They face charges relating to the 1999 kidnapping and murder of Oupa Ramogibe.

Mdluli and Mthunzi face charges of intimidation, kidnapping, assault, assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm, and defeating the ends of justice.

The 15-year-old case is in connection with the killing of Oupa Ramogibe.

Ramogibe allegedly received death threats after marrying Mdluli’s former girlfriend. He and was told to leave her or he would be killed. Ramogibe had reported the threats to the police before he was killed. A case of attempted murder had been opened by the police.

At the time, Mdluli was the station commander of the Vosloorus Police Station in Boksburg, east of Johannesburg, and was accused of sabotaging the investigation. Mdluli denied the allegations.

In November 2012, an inquest into the killing of Ramogibe cleared Mdluli of any involvement in the murder.

The charges of kidnapping and assault relate to allegations that he intimidated and assaulted the family and friends of his ex-lover to find out where she had moved to when she got married.

– African News Agency (ANA)

poll

today in print