Judgment in an urgent application by four fired SABC journalists has been moved from Johannesburg’s labour court to Cape Town, trade union Solidarity said on Monday.
“We received information from the labour court that Judge LeGrange is at the Cape Town bench and would therefore deliver the judgment at Cape Town’s Labour Court on Tuesday,” said Solidarity secretary Dirk Hermann.
Foeta Krige, Suna Venter, Krivani Pillay and Jacques Steenkamp filed an urgent application to have their dismissals by the SABC set aside by the court.
The case was heard on Friday by Judge Robert LeGrange following a postponement as a result of the SABC failing to file answering affidavits on time.
Several senior journalists, who include Lukhanyo Calata, were sent termination letters by the public broadcaster on Monday. Vuyo Mvoko’s contract was not renewed by the SABC because he publicly criticised a ban on the broadcasting of violent protests.
Mvoko has reportedly approached the high court to ask it to set aside the termination of his contract. Mvoko is not a permanent employee at the broadcaster.
In court papers served on the SABC on Thursday, Mvoko argues that the public broadcaster violated the independent contract agreement he had with them.
The other journalists had earlier in July approached the Constitutional Court for direct access to argue to have the ban on airing footage of violence reversed.
Last week, the SABC made a U-turn and said it would reverse its decision not to show violent protest footage in a case brought before the North Gauteng High Court court by the Helen Suzman Foundation (HSF).
The public broadcaster negotiated and reached a settlement with the HSF in court.
The SABC also agreed to implement the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (Icasa) ruling, which ordered it to reverse its unilateral ban on the broadcast of footage of violent protests.
– African News Agency