National 24.7.2016 11:43 am

ANC keep Marius Fransman after all

Western Cape ANC leader Marius Fransman. Photo: GCIS

Western Cape ANC leader Marius Fransman. Photo: GCIS

It was reported the ANC’s integrity commission wanted Fransman to relinquish all elected positions and not be eligible for election to any ANC structure for two years after allegations of sexual abuse.

ANC’s Western Cape chairperson Marius Fransman said in a statement on Saturday there was no confusion as to whether or not he would remain the ANC leader in the province.

Fransman said: “I have never ceased to be the Western Cape ANC leader since my election to the office.”

ALSO READ: ANC ‘wants Marius Fransman out’

It was reported earlier this month that based on the ANC’s integrity commission’s findings on sexual harassment charges against Fransman, the commission wanted him to relinquish all elected positions and not be eligible for election to any ANC structure for two years.

His 21-year-old assistant Louisa Wynand laid the charges against him after the two travelled together to the party’s 104th birthday celebrations in Rustenburg, North West.

“I have voluntarily stepped aside to allow the integrity commission to conclude its work without interference‚ and am now assuming my duties and responsibilities again at the conclusion of that process. My prolonged absence was only the result of a poorly managed internal process,” he explained.

Fransman said the party had only 11 days to “address the hearts and minds of the people of the Western Cape with compassion‚ energy and intelligence,” and that he would do everything within his power to meet the many calls on his ability to ensure the “best possible showing” by the ANC after months of “distraction”.

poll

today in print