- Share & Rate this article
- Related Stories
“The nine patients were medically evaluated and treated by the EMS paramedics and they are in stable condition. They had suffered refrigeration gas inhalation,” Ian Gray, NSRI Port Elizabeth station commander said in a statement.
An evacuation operation was mounted on Saturday to the 134 meter refrigeration vessel Huan Yu 1 which was en-route from Singapore to the Falkland islands.
The vessel was met three nautical miles offshore and the body of the crew member who had died was handed to forensic pathology services.
The nine injured people were evacuated and treated in hospital in Port Elizabeth.
The operation was conducted by the NSRI, the ports authority, police and Eastern Cape health services.
Police boarded the ship to investigate the leak and the cause of the death and the injuries.
Port health officials also evaluated the safety of the ship.
- Six changes to Bafana squad
- Lifting Amazulu morale key: Barker
- Shakes remains confident amid chaos
- Nomvethe brace gives Birds wings
- Igesund not surprised by Supersport ...
- Aces will make top eight – Barker
- Troughton – life goes on
- De Sa pleased with Ajax response
- De Sa warning over Rivaldo injury
- Bafana close in on top 50
- Follow The Citizen
- Network News