One person died and nine crewmen were evacuated from a ship which had a gas leak off the coast of Port Elizabeth, the National Sea Rescue Institute said on Sunday.
“The nine patients were medically evaluated and treated by the EMS paramedics and they are in stable condition. They had suffered refrigeration gas inhalation,” Ian Gray, NSRI Port Elizabeth station commander said in a statement.
An evacuation operation was mounted on Saturday to the 134 meter refrigeration vessel Huan Yu 1 which was en-route from Singapore to the Falkland islands.
The vessel was met three nautical miles offshore and the body of the crew member who had died was handed to forensic pathology services.
The nine injured people were evacuated and treated in hospital in Port Elizabeth.
The operation was conducted by the NSRI, the ports authority, police and Eastern Cape health services.
Police boarded the ship to investigate the leak and the cause of the death and the injuries.
Port health officials also evaluated the safety of the ship.
- Related Stories
- Follow The Citizen
- Ajax Cape Town wallop Tuks
- Blow by blow: Ajax CT v Tuks
- Shabba: League race not over yet
- Bafana coach condems ...
- Relegation scrap comes into focus
- Pitso – It ain’t over
- Cultural revolution as Chinese buy ...
- Valencia test leaves Barca no time to ...
- Wounded Paris resume title chase, Lyon ...
- Dortmund’s want-away Klopp out to ...
- Network News