“The nine patients were medically evaluated and treated by the EMS paramedics and they are in stable condition. They had suffered refrigeration gas inhalation,” Ian Gray, NSRI Port Elizabeth station commander said in a statement.
An evacuation operation was mounted on Saturday to the 134 meter refrigeration vessel Huan Yu 1 which was en-route from Singapore to the Falkland islands.
The vessel was met three nautical miles offshore and the body of the crew member who had died was handed to forensic pathology services.
The nine injured people were evacuated and treated in hospital in Port Elizabeth.
The operation was conducted by the NSRI, the ports authority, police and Eastern Cape health services.
Police boarded the ship to investigate the leak and the cause of the death and the injuries.
Port health officials also evaluated the safety of the ship.
- Related Stories
- Wits give Chiefs even more breathing ...
- Amajita, Amajimbos learn their fate
- University of Pretoria 0 Bidvest Wits 0 ...
- Oupa Manyisa is tired
- Senzo Meyiwa’s death overshadows ...
- Kosta Papic delighted as Polokwane City ...
- Cagey Mosimane satisfied with three ...
- Polokwane City rise into top 8
- Mosimane ecstatic about finishing 2014 ...
- Is this the new Free State Stars coach?
- Follow The Citizen
- Network News